Saturday, September 26, 2009

Big, Black, Beautiful Mare - needs home ASAP!

Great Trail Horse
1989 Grade Percheron mare. 16.2hh and all around BIG. Papers were lost. Very well broke to trail ride and also drives single/double but we've not driven her. Jet black(actually has dapples, too) with blaze and rear hind sock. Trail/Traffic safe. Goes anywhere you ask. She'd prefer to walk but will trot and canter with enough pushing, too. Rides single, double, bareback, saddled/bridled. Best for confident rider/handler due to her size(she is massive and is intimidating), though nearly anyone(not for young kids alone) can ride and handle her. Ties, bathes, clips, loads/trailers in anything you can safely squeeze her into, excellent for the farrier-NO stock needed. No health/lameness issues. Current on shots, coggins, and farrier. If not sold before Oct. 3rd, she going to a sale and I'd really like to get her a home before then so come with a truck and trailer and make an offer! Serious inquiries only please and do not waste my time coming out only to realize she's really big. I will most likely be taking her on trail this week and will try to remember my camera and take pics of her going down the road, through the wood, river, etc. Top pics below were taken on 9/6 and bottom 2 were taken 9/20 after a bath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


At this age (and size), this poor mare will probably go to the sale and end up on some Frenchman's dinner plate.  She is on the Rockford IL CL if anyone is interested.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/1384424291.html





2 comments:

  1. Just a suggestion, I'm not judging or trying to be snippy or anything llike that. Anyway, if I were closer, I'd take her in a heart beat! She is exactly what I would want if I got another horse & probably would if she were much closer. Have you thought of contacting any rescue organizations that could help place her? People are always hounding the rescues for riding horses and they usually have an abundance of unsound and/or untrained horses so they may have some contacts for you. It could be well worth a try instead of sending her to auction. Just a suggestion. Gosh, I'm almost ready to hitch up the trailer and head north! I'd love to have her just for trails. I wouldn't even mind her age but I'm probably close to 1500 miles away. Update if you think of it about her.


    tailwindssouth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vectormom. Happy to have you on board!

    The mare in the ad is not my horse. I found her ad on CL when I was looking - I would take her in a heartbeat too! She looks like an honest, sweetie of a mare. I don't know any rescue groups in Illinois as I live in Virginia - I did post the link to her on a couple of blogs. I would hate to see her go to auction as well. One of my first horses was an older grade mare -and she was FABULOUS!!
    I posted her ad because it makes me sick to think of her being loaded up on a doubledecker headed for Canada.......

    ReplyDelete